Electrons give off light when they return to the ground state after being excited by an energy source
Bohr studies the light given
'Black Body' = heated body that gives off only the light from its internal glow - no reflected light
School blocks YouTube? Click below
Atomic Spectra for Iron
Place your mouse over the image to see the absorption spectra
Place your mouse over the image
Every Energy level transition creates a single spectral line
| Onsite Version |
How many different spectral
lines can be produced
10 Spectral Lines
Black Body Radiation Results:
1. Only the high energy objects gave off colors on the violet side of the spectrum
2. Electrons in atoms are not capable of giving off all colors (energies)
3. Each element gives off a unique pattern of colors called a 'bright line spectrum'.
1. Spectral lines used to:
To Identify an Unknown Element
- Electrify, Heat it up and analyze its colors.
- Compare emitted colors to a database of elemental spectral lines
B and C
What are stars made of ?
ŠTony Mangiacapre., - All Rights Reserved [Home]
Use any material on this site (w/ attribution)